Friday, June 13, 2008

Six Years Ago Today



This is the anniversary day of my marriage to Mee Tracy. That was six years ago. We were married in a grove of trees behind the Villas Arqueologicas Hotel in Teotihuacan, Mexico. Looking back, that day was like a snapshot of things to come. You see we didn't just go get married, we were 7 months pregnant and got married in the midst of a life changing Power Journey with 16 other people, some of whom came to be with us on the wedding day, and some who were just there for the journey and fell into the wedding party by chance. 

Everything about our wedding ceremony was one-of-a-kind. My wife decided not to have bridesmaids, rather she asked four of her best friends who are all gay men to be her attendants. I had been married once before in a beautiful ceremony at a Catholic church in Nashville with 300 people in attendance. That was another life time though and this was nothing like that.

Mee, my bride, had never been down the aisle so she was really anxious and had all four men (who were dressed to kill in their best sarongs) running in circles trying to keep her from bolting to the Mexico City airport, while doing her hair and coordinating the event with the staff of the hotel, most of which spoke no English, and with the attendants who spoke no Spanish. It all looked like a “Through The Looking Glass” game of charades being played out in the shadow of the magical landscape of Teotihuacan, with the Avenue Of The Dead and the Temple To The Sun and Moon as our witnesses. 

At one point Durrell, the lead coordinator, needed matches to light the candles on our alter so he ran into the hotel office and tried to sign language the shape of a candle and the flame flickering on top and kept saying, “For the groom. For the man,” referring to me who all the hotel staff knew from my previous trips to Teotihuacan. The nice lady in the office finally said, "Si, uno momento," and she went to the store next door and came back with ... condoms!

Durrell freaked out because Mee was 7 months pregnant and we all lost it laughing so hard til this big rain cloud blew in, the God Tlaloc of course, arriving in style. With the first rain drops the whole staff of the hotel showed up with umbrellas and stood over the flowers and alter keeping everything dry til the shower stopped 20 minutes later. 


Our whole day continued as a crazy, funny, sweet and magical blessing for us all, and especially for Mee and me. So here we are 6 years later and neither of us are hardly recognizable compared to who we thought we were at that time. We've had two daughters that are all there is to love. We've grown, screamed, stretched, loved and continued to laugh and allow life to guide us toward tomorrow. (Oh yeah and we've set up 7 different homes in two different states and one foreign country.) I not only fell in love with my wife over the last 6 years but I have fallen in love with life, all of it, the color, texture, challenge, magic and tragedy. 

Six years ago today I began a great adventure with a great woman and I have no more idea what’s coming next than the man in the moon. That's the freedom of living in love, real love. There's always another chapter waiting to be created for those who allow this amazing life to be all that it might be, free from our fear-filled demands and our know-it-all agendas. 

Where were you six years ago? Isn't it amazing all that moves through us as we live our little lives one day at a time? If I could I'd invite the world to stop, all together at 7p.m. today, and look up at the sky and say, “Thank you life, I love you,” and for just a moment we could all put our attention on one thing in our life that we have unconditional love for. I really believe that would be something we humans are worthy of. 

I love my Mee and I love my little girls, all 4 of them, and to Who or Whatever is dreaming this dream, I love you too. Onward there is life to be lived here....Peace, Lee

No comments: